12 December 2008

Can I Get a Sparkle on Wheat?

Fri : 4:51am : np: Digable Planets - Dedicated

So ... I was running around running errands today .. and I was super late ... on my phone, while carrying stuff and so on ... but I had just one minute while I waited for someone and I popped into New York Subs downtown ... was totally on my phone for 5 minutes ... when the guy took my order I asked for a quarter sandwich ... which they'll do for you but it's like $3.50 vs. $5.00 ... (I mostly get it cuz I don't need a full half) and the guy was like, you want this or that ... tomatoes ... and I said ... no tomatoes ... wait, yes tomatoes, jeeze sorry got a lot on my mind. Dude just nods ... makes the sandwich ... hands it to me and says, made you a half cuz it seems like you're having a day. Total random dude I've never seen and I'm not a regular customer.

Totally small gesture ... but really nice. Don't want to start talking in cheesy aphorisms or folksy quotes or anything but that tiny gesture made kind of a difference in my trajectory for the day. This is perhaps not at all anything deep but it kinda made me think ... wow, we should really all try to do stuff like that more often. Especially these days ... I feel like it's just a really great opportunity to make connections ... for many reasons but it's really a time that is pregnant with possibility. From small things to huge ideas.

Overall ... I've been trying pretty hard to see the opportunities of this time on Earth ... what are the teaching moments ... what things are possible ... what things aren't we seeing or appreciating or moving on with the fire that we should be. I'm no swami, but I know that in my almost four decades on the planet I've not encountered a time like this ... and I feel like this time is powerful and full of promise. I'm thinking a lot about what is possible ... what we're meant to be doing right now ... what we're on the verge of ... or could be on the verge of. I think most people would agree ... from regular folks to the most inspired thinkers that this time is unique and powerful. I don't have the answer as to what we should be doing with this time but I know that there are probably a lot of good options ... and each of us should be thinking about what it means for them.

We see technology constantly evolving and creating new realities ... from the typewriter to the PC ... from the vinyl record to the iPod .. each one in some small way transforming the way things work. I feel that human thought and civilization can be on a similar trajectory. I know that in my life, I've experienced a ton of evolution in the way I think about and approach things and I look forward to more forward movement. But human civilization sometimes seems mired in something ... the past ... and is slow to change and is gripped by its own limitations. Tradition is seen as something positive without question. But I feel like this time on Earth is about progress. We saw it in the recent election ... both ways. On one hand was Obama, representing all that is new and possible and that was and is crushingly exciting and joyful ... and on the other hand you have Prop 8 ... where the evolution that needs to happen, wants to happen (will happen!) was denied by people stuck in the past. Finding their rules in some dusty Bronze Age book of fairy tales.

[There's something just crazy about getting your marching orders from some crusty book written thousands of years ago, but that's a whole 'nother story.]

For me ... this time is full of promise. Trying to get into that vibration. So much is possible.
.

No comments: